Our Feisty Fisks

Raising the female population of Indiana one child at a time

Google
 
Web www.avafisk.blogspot.com

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wakey, Wakey!

This morning I was sleeping soundly when suddenly I was awakened by what initially seemed to be the squealing of a piglet in duress. Turns out it was my daughter. Doni had brought her in to wake me up as she would need to leave for school soon. (Have I mentioned how much I love being on vacation?...)

It occurred to me that Ava rarely sees Doni or I sleeping. She goes to bed long before we do and she isn't able to get herself out of her crib in the morning to see us catching Z's. On the occasion that Doni or I do take a nap it is always while Ava is down for a siesta. Trying to sleep in the midst of a 19 month-old who hasn't yet figured out how to control the volume of her voice... dysfunctional.

Ava and I play a little game where I'll pretend that I'm sleeping. I'll usually snore loudly and keep my eyes open just enough to make sure I'm not about to get a drop-kick to the face. She's sneaky and will try things like that. Typically she'll sneak close to my face and let it rip with her best soprano-range screech. Then I "startle" and we all have a good laugh.

After lunch today, Ava took my finger and led me to "Mom & Dad's bed" for some fun. I think for her its kind of like the ball-pit in a playland - unique and cushioned enough to have a good time without getting hurt. Granted, there's not many ball-pits you can fall out the side of, so she only goes on the bed with Doni or I. We piled the pillows at the head of the bed and I got under the covers. I went for the old "close your eyes and snore" routine as the bones in my middle ear braced for the onslaught of the coming audio hurricane. Instead, Ava turned her head to the side, laid still, and took a couple deep breaths through pursed lips (her attempt at snoring). Just when my ears had relaxed to the soothing rhythm of her breathing, she sprung into her out standby, a squeal that bordered on the upper limits of human hearing. Sassy writhed in agony in the corner of the room. Ava! Who taught you to ambush?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 comments