Our Feisty Fisks

Raising the female population of Indiana one child at a time

Google
 
Web www.avafisk.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Backyardigans Live!

(That's Backyardigans Live as in happening right now, not pre-recorded.)


Yesterday we went to see Backyardigans Live. This was one of Ava's birthday presents that has been drawn out over the last three weeks. Ava didn't care that she had to wait because she apparently has no concept of time. You ask, "Do you want to see the Backyardigans in three weeks?" She starts looking for the nearest TV.

Personally, I see something wrong with having to buy three tickets when Ava is the only one of us that is the target audience. Doni, however, was looking forward to it as well, so I guess it made sense for her to buy a ticket. Me? I'm more annoyed by the Backyardigans. Four characters are animals. The fifth character is an unknown species named Uniqua. What kind of name is Uniqua? Get outta' here! I secretly was looking forward to it, though, for the sole reason that I knew Ava would enjoy it.

Before the show started there were ushers reminding (read: dictating) that photography was not allowed after the show started. I had to get Ava's reaction though, so I palmed our camera and set it to record video of her and Doni when the show started. My hand blocked the glow from the LCD screen so the camera nazis wouldn't be tipped off to my clandestine videography.

For twenty minutes before the show started they had been playing bits and pieces of the Backyardigans theme song. Just when you thought it was ramping up into the full-blown song with vocals they would bring it back down to its bare bones bass track. Ava picked out the remnants of the theme song despite the craziness of hundreds of youngin's and the noise they make. She has hearing like a rabbit. Seriously! When we're at home and the first note of the Backyardigans theme song falls, she flips out. She runs into the living room and makes laps around the coffee table screaming at the top of her lungs. We're talking late 80's - early 90's New Kids on the Block hysteria. (Note: NKOTB were on the Today show the other day and Doni was NOT impressed.)

With the teaser music coming in and out Ava was on the edge of her seat. She scanned the theater like a meerkat scanning for predators. I could imagine her thinking, "I don't know what's going on, but I think I like it." So there I was, camera poised in hand, waiting for the start of the show. After a couple of jesters with trumpets came out to remind us to shut off our cellphones the show started. "She is going to explode with glee," I thought.

The tension built. The theme song came in full strength! The characters came on stage! The room was alive! Ava... was entranced. Instead of a massacre of childish joy, she went straight into a Backyardigans coma. Usually that only happens after her screaming and coffee table laps during the theme song. Maybe it was because the characters had human faces. Maybe it was because they were there in real life 40 feet away from her. Maybe it was because the voices weren't the same voices as the characters on TV. Whatever it was, she was caught off guard enough that she went straight to coma.

Personally, my favorite moment was when Ava sneezed and a six inch booger was dangling from her nose. She didn't know what to do. Doni was scrambling to hold Ava's hands to she wouldn't wipe it all over the place. I was scrambling to get the tissues out of Doni's purse. There was definitely excitement in our row.

The show ended with nearly all of the audience singing the theme song loud and proud. I just shook my head as I watched adult after adult give in to peer pressure and belt along with the kids. It was a sad moment for the human race.

On the way home Ava sat quietly in her car seat with a big smile on her face. We like to think she was remembering all the fun she had at the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 comments