Our Feisty Fisks

Raising the female population of Indiana one child at a time

Google
 
Web www.avafisk.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 04, 2009

A Week With the Potty

As Jeremy mentioned I was fortunate to have a week just me and Ava. I thought this would be an opportune time to try potty training again. I was all ready and felt like Ava was too. Monday started off great. She woke up dry and sat on the potty while enjoying a little TV with breakfast. She had not gone and it was going on 45 minutes. I thought we would try out panties and I would just keep asking her if she had to go potty. I asked every 5 minutes and asked her if she was dry and she always responded with a yes. I would confirm and I thought I would sit her on the potty after 20 minutes. It was then that she said, "Oh, no! Wet!" It was also at that point that I started crying with frustration. I decided I would not let it get me too upset and we would keep trying. I showed her how her baby was dry and I praised the baby. I then gave her some "juice" and then sat her on the potty. Ava seemed to be buying it and when I lifted the baby up she had gone potty! Ava and I praised the baby and the baby got some m&m rewards. I thought the rest of the day would be better but we had no luck.

Tuesday was better, she actually used the potty twice. The only problem I found was she was sitting for over an hour each time. This was also in front of the television. I enjoy TV more then the next person but I don't think at the end of the day a 2 year old should have seen more TV then her age.

The sitter called on Wednesday to let me know that Ava would need more diapers which made me break down for the second time this week. I told her about Tuesday and she tried to encourage me with thoughts that Ava gets it but her body doesn't and she just needs more time. She also let me know that she would not be able to let Ava sit for an hour at her house. When Jeremy came home we had a long talk and came up with a more stable routine for Ava and mommy. We will only sit her on the potty for 20 minutes at a time in the morning and after meals as well as before bedtime. This made me feel better.

Thursday and Friday went much better but we never really had any success in the potty. A few drops but that was it. She still got her "pee" rewards of m&m's, double if she starts out dry. On Saturday we finally got to spend some time with daddy and we went to the library to find some potty movies and books. We watched one on Saturday while sitting on the potty, no pee. We tried the rest of the day with no success.

Today we tried but mom was not really into it. We did watch another potty movie, 3 times. She seemed to like it and even tried to sing along to the "potty" song at the end of the story. I have been doing a lot of praying and I really feel in my heart that she gets it but doesn't have that sensation yet. She will even if it takes longer then everyone tells me. We will be throwing a "potty" party when it happens and everyone will know about it. For now we could use as many prayers as possible.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Let me know if you want some tips on what finally worked for Trinity. I really do think that something has to just click and then they get it - just wish it was timed with when we want them to get it!!

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Doni said…

    I will take any advice that I can get. I welcome it all!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

2 comments