Our Feisty Fisks

Raising the female population of Indiana one child at a time

Google
 
Web www.avafisk.blogspot.com

Monday, April 13, 2009

Doni Finally Speaks Out

After almost a week I am finally ready to share how Ellie's birth was not what I planned. It started Monday night where Ava decided that she did not want to go to bed but would rather cry like crazy and not answer what was making her act like this. After 40 minutes of non-stop crying I suggested that we bring her mattress into our room so she could sleep on the floor. This was a good idea to her and she went right to sleep. So did mom and dad. I unfortunately woke up at around one in the morning to use the bathroom and could not get back to sleep. I started thinking of what was about to happen in a few short hours and I spent the rest of the night becoming more anxious then I already was.

Tuesday morning came and I got ready in record time. Jeremy and I walked Ava next door to our friends house so she could spend the day with her friend Kaden. We were off to the hospital and I was feeling confident that I was 9 cm and I would have a baby by noon. Well, that was what I wanted but God had something else in mind.

After checking in and getting me settled in the delivery room my doctor came in to check how I had progressed and informed me that I was still 6 cm! I was not pleased. She wanted to wait on breaking my water but gave me two doses of p-gel. I got through the first dose with 6 episodes of Season 3 of The Office, but the second dose was not so easy. We started watching a movie and I soon realized I was in need of drugs. The nurse gave me some Nubain and I felt like I had drank my way into la-la land. My doctor then decided it was now time to break my water (12:01 PM). As the drugs started to wear off, I decided it was time for the epidural. About 20 minutes later the lady with the epidural arrived and I sat up to get my magic drug.

When I sat on the edge of the bed Ellie dropped and the contractions became so intense that when I think about it now, I want to throw up. We got as far as the needle in my back but the contractions were so intense and so fast that it was obvious that I was too late. They called my doctor and laid me down on the bed. Ten minutes later, along with 2 pushes, Ellie Jane was born (12:59 pm). They laid her on my chest and she started crying right away. I was so exhausted that I only looked at her a few times and they took her to the de-cheesing table (Refer to Ellie's first posted picture).

While they were cleaning her off I was getting stitches. I had a second degree tear which is better than a fourth degree. I spent about an hour bonding with Ellie and then she went to the nursery to be properly cleaned and get her hearing test. Jeremy and I ordered lunch and ate in the delivery room. Shortly after that I was moved to my regular room where I promptly took a nap. A little later Ellie joined us and then Jeremy went to get Ava. I was feeling pretty good but very tired. The next day I realized I felt like I had been in a car accident. My entire body was tense and sore. I fought through it though and would only take ibuprofen for the pain. A few days later I was back to normal. Because Ellie and I were both in good shape we were discharged the very next day. I would rather be home watching TV then in a hospital.

When I relive this day I physically don't know how I didn't pass out from the pain. It was so intense I remember telling everyone that I couldn't do this. Jeremy was a great coach though and encouraged me all the way. I have already talked with my doctor and when baby number 3 comes we will have the epidural BEFORE she breaks my water. I think this will be better for everyone.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Allison said…

    I'm glad the REALLY painful part didn't last too long.

    And I love it when you talk about baby number 3! You aren't still planning on having 12 are you?

    Only 1 more day til I get to see you guys! Yay!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

1 comments